Tuesday, August 12, 2014

How to ... Make a necklace

Hey guys, sorry it's been sooo long since my last post, I was having some computer problems.



Today I thought we would talk about jewelry. Recently I made a necklace and I thought I'd try to walk you through how to do it.



This is the necklace:


The first thing I did was purchase the spearhead. I got mine for about one dollar at the Museum of Natural History in New York City.


Then I used some wire to wrap around the top of the spearhead and extend into a loop that could attach to a chain. When choosing wire for this, I would recommend a type that is thick enough to hold its shape, but is still easily bendable.


After that I used a different type of wire to make the sort of S-shaped curves on the chain. I would recommend looking at the shape that you want your wire to be and bending it into that shape using a pair of needle-nosed pliers. Make sure to make a loop at both ends of your shape so that it can be attached to the chain. Also, when choosing wire for this I would recommend a wire that is thick enough to hold its shape and is hard to bend. 



For the beaded portions of the chain, I used the same wire as I did to wrap the spear head. I made a loop at one end of a piece of wire, then strung on the beads, and finished off with a loop at the other end of the wire.


Then all that was left to do was assemble the chain and add a clasp. I did this by using my needle-nose and flat-nose pliers to open up the loops on the little beaded and wire portions and attaching them to each other and to the spear head. Then I added the clasp.


Now I know that this was a bit/ very confusing so if you have any questions on how to do this, please leave them in the comments as I will read through and answer all of them to the best of my abilities. 


Overall I did have a fun time making this necklace, although when I was cleaning up I managed to miss a piece if wire and get a nice cut down the back of my thigh :/ But still my advice on making jewelry is to go for it, but make sure that you clean up reallllly well.




Now for the cheesy quote to go with this post:



No comments:

Post a Comment